Wednesday, July 22, 2015

CCDE IGP Study Plan Part 1 - IS-IS

Finally I found some time recently to study and move on with CCDE plan. The idea is to take CCDE written in next 6 months at max. Since I have been doing on and off study for quite a while, I decided to gear up this time and work based on attack plan I had per technology duing my CCIE R&S couple of years back since the approach did well for me. The plan is more likely to work since to me CCDE is just a getting into mindset of a Network Designer but otherwise it's just a vast collection of exam topics that carefully needs to be examined and prepared for.

So to start with I picked up one of my fav routing protocol (IGP) which is yet not very well known - Integrated IS-IS or IS-IS for IP or IS-IS in general.

There are many personal reasons that I would pick it as protocol of choice if I have to pick for an ISP Network Design over more popular OSPF. But let's not get into IS-IS vs OSPF discussion yet.

Below is the study plan I used so far and I am quite happy about with progress.

1. Routing TCP/IP, Volume 1 (2nd Edition) - Jeff Doyle - Cisco Press
2. Optimal Routing Design  - Russ White - Cisco Press
3. IS-IS Network Design Solutions  - Abe Martey - Cisco Press > Two 
    Design Chapters
4. INE CCIE SP ATC IS-IS Section
5. SPF calculation in OSPF and IS-IS
6. ISIS Link-Group
7. Using BFD to Detect WAN Forwarding Errors
8. IS-IS+MPLS TE+Native IPv6=FAIL
9. Do not EVER run OSPF or IS-IS with your Internet customers
10. Missing routes when running IS-IS over Frame Relay
11. Cisco Live 365 - BRKRST-2335 - IS-IS Network Design and Deployment  
     (2012 San Diego)
12. Cisco Live 365 - BRKRST-2327 - ISIS Fundamentals and Troubleshooting
     (2013 Orlando)
13. Cisco Live 365 - BRKRST-2338 - ISIS Deployment in Modern Networks
     (2014 San Francisco) 
14. Packet Pushers - Show 89 – OSPF vs IS-IS Smackdown – Where You Can  
     Watch Their Eyes Reload
15. ISIS Authentication types
16. IS-IS Notes
17. IS-IS Study Guide Cisco IOS,IOS-XR 
18. IS-IS Routing Protocol FAQ

Under point '3' I chose Cisco Press IS-IS Network Design Solutions while there were some other good options too suggested by many CCIE and CCDE friends. But after carefully examining the contents through quick review I preferred Cisco Press book. But other books are no less either if you pick one of those like:

The Complete IS-IS Routing Protocol

OSPF and IS-IS: Choosing an IGP for Large-Scale Networks

IS-IS: Deployment in IP Networks

With that being said, hope to come up with IS-IS design articles and possibly a short IS-IS CCDE type case study in coming month.

HTH...
Deepak Arora
Evil CCIE

3 comments:

CCIE Certification Training said...

I very happy to read this informative post.Its a very useful for everyone.

CCIE Certification Training said...

I am very happy to read this post.Its very useful for me.

Anonymous said...

Great list deepak. I like your comment on CLN on Marwan topic how to think like designer. I think that guy had no clue what he is talking about and ruttles on ccde vs ccie. He failed ccie 3 times and then chosen ccde path. You are absolutely right all ccde material is written by CCIE. That book is going to be a rubbish anyway. I worked with him in didata and he had no clue of anything but just bullshit. So don't be based on that book you will ace it with your own material.

Thanks
Molina