Saturday, March 7, 2009

Breaking Cisco Router's Level 7 password - :-( My GOD

During my CCNA studies I learned about breaking Cisco Router's Level 7 password using free Boson's Getpass utility.

It was good to know at initial stage of my carrier. Anyways .... Few months back I learned that same thing can be done by using Cisco Router itself....can you believe this ? I mean you can use Cisco router to decrypt level 7 password which was generated by another router. Lets try this out...what I am gonna do is that I'll login into one router named GABBAR and will create a local user with password. Then I am gonna enable service password encryption to encrypt this password. I'll note down the encrypted password. Later I am gonna log in into another cisco router named VEERU and then will try to decrypt the password :)...so lets have some fun

GABBAR(config)#service password-encryption
GABBAR(config)#username deepak password arora
GABBAR(config)#do sh run | in user
username deepak password 7 11080B0A0513


VEERU(config)#key chain BASANTI
VEERU(config-keychain)#key 1
VEERU(config-keychain-key)#key-string 7 11080B0A0513
VEERU(config-keychain-key)#
VEERU(config-keychain-key)#
VEERU(config-keychain-key)#do sh key chain
Key-chain BASANTI:
key 1 -- text "arora"
accept lifetime (always valid) - (always valid) [valid now]
send lifetime (always valid) - (always valid) [valid now]

Best Regards,
Deepak Arora

No comments: